Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Some Things on Wings
Oohs and Aahs is a pretty silly name for a restaurant, but they make some pretty serious wings. It's on U St., a few blocks from the 9:30 Club. I'd heard good things about it, and checked it out Saturday.

On first impression, it's the smallest restaurant I've ever been in. You walk in, there's a counter to your left, with two bar stools. If there are people sitting there, which there were on Saturday, it's crowded. I maneuvered my way to an open space which looked like the logical place to make an order. There's no posted menu, but there were a few saucy menus on the counter. I knew I wanted wings -- I ordered them buffalo style and lemon pepper style, with sides of collard greens and yams.

It got uncomfortable, as there were eventually eight customers in an area that had enough room for two. But once I got home and we started eating, the pay-off was great. The wings are perfectly fried, then sauced. So when you take a bite, you get the the sauce, then the crispy, then the chicken. The wings were big and meaty. According to my girlfriend, the greens were great, too (best so far in DC, she said). I saw some folks eating ribs when I was there, and I'll definitely be back to give those a try. Probably some mac and cheese, too.

No comments: